The purpose of a parent council is to:-
- give parents a voice and increase their active involvement in decision making and to
- develop a partnership between the school and parents/carers in order to support and promote the pupils learning.
The parent council is a consultative & advisory body, representing parents, run by parents with the support of the school. The parent council is made up of representatives of parents from each class, a representative of the senior management team, a parent governor and a representative of the PTA.
There are many potential benefits of having a parent council which include:
- For children: children behave better and achieve more when parents are involved with their child’s education, and concerns can be resolved more quickly
- For parents: influencing school decisions, accessing support from school and each other, breaking down barriers.
- For staff/school: improving communication and breaking down barriers, satisfying requirements of the education and Inspection Act (2006), harnessing parental skills and expertise, better understanding parents views specially those who are less engaged. Want to know more? Take a look at our Youtube clip below!
Parent Council Representatives:
Minutes of Previous Meetings: