At GCMS we aim to provide a high quality physical education curriculum which inspires pupils to excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. We aim to provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness as well as provide opportunities to compete in sporting activities, help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
In Key Stage 2 pupils will begin to engage in a range of activities to develop a broader range of skills. They will develop and understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
Pupils will be taught to:-
- Use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- Play competitive games, modified where appropriate (for example, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball), and apply principles suitable for attacking and defending.
- Develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance (for example, through athletics and gymnastics)
- Compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
At Key Stage 3 pupils will build upon and embed the physical development and skills acquired in Key Stage 2, becoming more competent and confident in their techniques, applying them across different sports physical activities.
They will begin to understand what makes a performance effective and how to apply these principles to their own and others’ work.
Pupils will be taught to:
- Use a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games (for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and rugby)
- Develop their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports (for example athletics and gymnastics)
- Analyse their performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
- Take part in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs